Do you want to know what it takes to run businesses online in today’s world?
Are you ready to start thinking digitally and boost your career prospects?
Our Business Management degree will prepare you to become a key player of the digital revolution, equipping you with the necessary skills, knowledge and values to head-start your career in business.
For many organisations, digital transformation has always been a key priority, and Covid-19 has only accelerated this need. To succeed in today’s world, businesses need to understand how to use digital technologies to transform their current business model and attract new customers. With 810,316 new businesses launched in the UK in the financial year ending in 2021 (Business Statistics Bulletin 2021), now is the time to start developing skills that will make you shine on your chosen career path.
Through this programme you will explore business theories and the impact of digital technology on how companies engage with their consumers and supply chains. But, more crucially, the programme will allow you develop key skills such as project management, business development, planning, agile methodology and more, to help you become a key player of the digital revolution.
- Learn to identify and manage digital transformation strategy
- Assess the use of digital technologies and learn how to run businesses online
- Gain one-to-one career advice through a module fully focused on helping you become career-ready
- Learn in a personalised and friendly small class environment
- Balance your full-time studies with your personal life with various start dates and study options, such as evenings and weekends
This course is delivered as part of a partnership between QA Higher Education and the University of Roehampton. The programme is validated by the University and delivered by QA Higher Education.
Teaching and Assessment
|Lectures, seminars, and workshops:||12 hours per week|
|Independent study:||30 hours per week|
|Assessment:||coursework and presentations|
To thrive in the digital era, you will need to think digitally – our blended learning approach allows you to do just that. You’ll get the best of both worlds with up to 50% of your course delivered online, building your confidence ready to succeed in a digital workplace.
You will receive the same number of live contact hours as face-to-face programmes and have a module specifically designed to cover learning and working digitally. A typical timetable may include:
- Daytime students: 2 days of tuition per week – your sessions will be on-campus for 1 of those days and the other day will take place live online.
- Evening and weekend blended timetables will typically follow one of the below patterns each week:
- 2 evenings live online and 1 weekend day face-to-face on-campus, or
- 2 evenings face-to-face on-campus and 1 weekend day live online
Visit our blended learning page for further information.
Response to Covid-19: our focus is on providing a safe and welcoming learning environment for our students. For the latest information, our response to Covid-19 and FAQs, please check the QA Higher Education website.
- 96 UCAS points, or equivalent.
- GCSE Maths at grade C/4 or above, or equivalent*
If you do not meet these entry requirements, have a look at our BA (Hons) Business Management Extended Degree, which offers a more supported route into undergraduate studies.
If you have two years of full-time paid work experience, you can apply for a work experience entry route. Please note you will still need to pass the usual interview and academic ability criteria.
*This can be exempted by successfully passing the QA Higher Education Maths test (score 8 out of 15).
English language requirements:
- GCSE English at grade C/4 or equivalent
To prove your English language requirements, you can also sit the QA Higher Education English test, where a 60% passing mark is required.
Please note: we are not currently able to sponsor international students to study this programme at the University of Roehampton Centres therefore if you require sponsorship to study as an International student, this course will be unavailable to you.
Please also note that if your qualifications are not in English, we might need certified translations in order to proceed with your application.
All modules are core and worth 20 credits, unless otherwise stated.
This practical module allows you to explore what it means to learn and work effectively in a digital context, creating the foundations for the necessary skillset to succeed in future modules.
- Understand how to study in a digital environment
- Develop your work-ready skills through the use of online systems
- Learn to manage and be a part of digital teams
Gain a general introduction to the business environment and the key dilemmas faced by businesses today.
- Explore the ongoing impact and use of digital technologies on how businesses are structured and operate
- Consider traditional business models and how these have been challenged
- Understand how businesses are evolving in response to digital developments
Explore fundamental financial and management accounting concepts and their application in a range of business contexts.
- Learn how to be financially aware
- Develop your ability to interpret financial data
- Practice how to construct budgets
To understand digital transformations, you need to first be familiar with core management concepts and approaches.
- Study and analyse many fundamental concepts of management and why they’re still relevant
- Explore how the rise of digitalisation in organisations is changing management competencies and demands
- Boost your employability by understanding what digital transformation means
What is data-driven decision-making, and why is it so important? Gain practice-based experience of data management and use, while understanding the concept of data-driven strategies.
- Learn about the importance of data management and security
- Explore the principles of data presentation and its business use
- Understand how to handle data with Excel and its range of descriptive and inferential statistical techniques
- Draw value and insight from the business use and application of statistics
Gain a fundamental introduction to a range of key marketing concepts and models.
- Study marketing theories to enhance your understanding of marketing processes
- Analyse how technology has challenged traditional marketing concepts and models
- Explore new approaches to marketing driven by the use of digital technology
Put contemporary project management theory into practice and explore the process of making and implementing digital choices.
- Gain experience of project appraisal, learning how to work through project implementation and post implementation review
- Practise weekly by completing simulations of a digital implementation project
- Boost your team-working skills
- Apply your knowledge to drive projects through to completion
Learn about operations and supply chain management, top skills to make you career-ready across a variety of industries.
- Explore the benefits and challenges of the increased use of digital technology
- Learn how to successfully adopt these technologies
- Gain knowledge on the impact of technologies from a range of stakeholder perspectives, including suppliers’ and customers’
High speed, high capacity, reliable and secure digital communications have opened up the possibility for greater home and remote working. Even once Covid-related restrictions were lifted in the UK, the proportion of hybrid working has risen during spring 2022 (Office for National Statistics 2022).
- Explore the challenges of setting up, managing and motivating effective virtual teams
- Learn how to create a sense of corporate identity, belonging and team spirit
- Delve into the Human Resources challenges related to remote working and how to successfully respond to these
What is Big Data and what’s its role in business and organisation? Through this module, you will learn about and develop key skills for managing and analysing Big Data.
- Learn about the concept and application of Big Data
- Explore how Big Data leads to business insight and organisational advantage
- Understand and analyse Big Data through case studies from a range of organisational contexts
- Put theory into practice and extract business insights from a ‘real’ Big Data set
Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials and Generation Z all have different values, aspirations and desires. Each generation interacts with digital technology in different ways, and if organisations wish to stay on top of the game, they need to understand the behaviours and modes of engagement with technology of different generations.
- Explore the factors leading to organisations moving more into the field of digital marketing and digital interaction with customers and potential customers
- Analyse inter-generational differences and how to react to these to drive business success
- Understand the implications of different generations for developing digital engagement strategies
- Explore organisations’ evolving digitisation of operations and service delivery
Living and working digitally brings its risks, first of all the risk of unauthorised access to data and/or denial of service attacks.
- Learn about national and supranational legislation to control the storage and use of personal data
- Understand what compliance requirements mean for organisations
- Explore the nature of the cyber security threats faced by businesses
- Learn how to develop and implement an effective cyber security strategy
- Understand information management strategies for business activity and data management as a result of GDPR
Gain a thorough introduction to emerging technologies and approaches.
- Learn more about the business challenges and opportunities new technologies bring
- Explore up to three emergent and modern technologies to put theory into practice
Develop a critical understanding of a range of approaches to strategy formulation, gaining key skills such as critical thinking, research and agile methodology.
- Explore how rapid digital development and implementation challenge traditional strategic models and approaches to strategy development
- Understand the processes involved with developing an organisation’s digital strategy
- Explore the creation of an agile development process, and how to successfully address the challenges created by digital technology
Gain specialised knowledge on core concepts in business ethics, including how digital technologies pose new challenges to current ethical business norms.
- Analyse existing frameworks of corporate responsibility and governance
- Examine and evaluate how fit these existing protocols are in the digital age
- Explore and discuss possible new models
- Boost your employability by understanding ethical practice and perspectives
Become confident in academic research and boost your employability by gaining key critical thinking, analysis and research skills.
- Identify a research topic
- Define objectives and questions to help you develop a literature review
- Develop and practise appropriate research methodologies for different forms of research
- Produce a research proposal which will inform your independent research-based dissertation
Carry out an independent piece of original research based on the proposal from your research methods module, choosing your own area of interest within digital business and business management. Some examples for dissertations are:
- Embark on a consultancy project, to advise a business on development of an effective digital strategy
- Act as a manager for a digital implementation project
- Undertake an analysis of data captured by digital systems to extract business insights and inform business activity
Get career-ready in a module all focused on enhancing your employability.
- Understand the disciplines, skills and reflective practice needed to prepare you for employment or further study
- Develop key career-focused skills, including time management and planning
- Learn how to build an effective Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Create an impressive LinkedIn profile
- Identify and plan your goals for future employment
- Understand how your programme will help you head-start your career
The course information displayed on this page is correct for the academic year 2022/23. We aim to run the course as advertised however, changes may be necessary due to updates to the curriculum (due to academic or industry developments), student demand or UK compliance reasons.
In the UK, the total employment in SMEs in 2021 was 16.3 million with a £2.3 trillion turnover (gov.uk 2021).
This course is the first step towards your career goals, providing you with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed.
|Detail oriented||Project Management||Research|
Developing skills that are industry-focused and transferrable, you will be the ideal candidate for jobs in a variety of fields and sectors.
Competitive job roles this programme might open up for you:
|Marketing and Sales Director||Management Consultant||Marketing Associate Professional|
|Programme and Software Development Professional||Financial Manager||Management Accountant|
|Business Development Executive||Business Analyst||Project Manager|
- 2023/24: £9,250 (UK/Home)
Student finance through Student Finance England (SFE) is available for this course. For more information, please contact us.
You will need to have access to a laptop/PC required and reliable high-speed internet connection for your virtual classes and group assignments.
|Included in your tuition fees|
|Academic Support, including the Academic Community of Excellence (ACE) Team|
|Careers and Employability Service|
|Class hours (lectures, seminars and tutorials)|
|Facilities (computers, on-campus wi-fi, printers, vending machines)|
|Library resources, including a large online catalogue of books, journals and more|
|Social spaces (quiet study spaces, multi-faith rooms and spaces to socialise)|
|Student Support (Welfare Team, Finance Team and more)|
Tuition fees do not cover the cost of subject books, stationery, printing and photocopying costs, accommodation, living expenses, travel, hobbies, sports or any other extracurricular activities.
We recommend you allow an additional £180 per annum to buy some of the course texts which are around £30 each.
If you are ready to apply, please complete our online application form below and provide any required supporting documents. We will assess your application and provide you with a response. If you experience any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next application deadline: TBC
Apply for September 2023
|London||Apply for September||Apply for September|
|Birmingham||Apply for September||Not available|
WANT TO ASK US A QUESTION?
If you have any questions regarding this programme, entry requirements, or studying with us, contact us using the form below.
Information for disabled applicants
At Roehampton, we welcome applications from disabled students and are committed to ensuring an equal and accessible application journey. Your application will be considered on an equal basis to all other applications. Please contact us if you require any assistance. This website is continually optimised to adhere to accessibility best practice guidelines; tools to assist users with specific accessibility requirements have also been provided. More information is available in our accessibility statement.